Air conditioning is a great thing, isn’t it?
It keeps us cool when it’s blistering out outside and helps to dry out the air when it’s humid.
However, air conditioner use has also been associated with health problems, they can be noisy, they dry out the skin, and can exacerbate eye problems like pink eye.
Poor maintenance of air conditioners have even been associated with Legionnaire’s disease which is caused by bacteria growing around the air conditioner (this happens with older machines).
So what are some things to keep in mind when you are using your air conditioner?
- Drying out of the air. Air conditioners don’t put moisture into the air and the air will dry out. This can cause things like dried skin, chapped lips and exacerbate eye problems. As long as you don’t use your air conditioner all of the time and use things like moisturizer if you have sensitive skin, you should be all right.
- If you are going from warmth and humidity to dry cold air and back again, the sudden changes can cause respiratory damage.
- Some air conditioners can be a bit noisy
- Old air conditioners have been known to contribute to Legionnaire’s disease which is a bacterial infection that causes wheezing, headaches, nausea, hallucinations, and in rare cases, death. Fortunately, most newer air conditioners mitigate the risk of bacterial growth
- In larger buildings, air conditioners can lead to heightened passive smoking; ie, the cigarette smoke can be circulated through the building where others can breathe it in
- Air conditioners can lead to a release of positive ions. This will depend wildly on your belief in such things, but many people believe that positive ions, in high numbers, can lead to headaches and irritation
Air conditioners can be really beneficial too; the cooler air is easier to live with, the rooms are more comfortable, and you can reduce the risk of dehydration.
The main thing is to make sure you do regular maintenance on your air conditioner so that you don’t have things like mold growth, broken bits and other destructive elements that can not only ruin your health and enjoyment but also your wallet.
Clearview Plumbing and Heating is here to help you with all of your Air Conditioning needs.
We’re available for even 24/7 emergency service and provide consultation and repairs.
You can reach us any time at 403-220-0090.