In the sweltering heat of the summer, nothing is more disconcerting or disappointing than having your air conditioning unit go on the “fritz”.
That’s why air conditioner maintenance is of the utmost importance.
In fact, the maintenance of your air conditioner will increase the likelihood that your air conditioning unit will run without problems throughout the hottest months of the year, and that any repair that is needed will be accompanied by an affordable price tag. And perhaps most importantly, maintenance will help your unit to operate at peak efficiency so that you can stay cool and comfortable without spending too much on energy.
Many people are perplexed when it comes to home maintenance of their air conditioning units. The best schedule for maintaining your cooling system begins in the spring, long before the heat of the summer sets in. The following tips will help you to make sure that your system is up to par and ready for the mercury to rise.
- Outdoor condensing unit. When doing your spring maintenance for your air conditioning system, make certain that the outdoor condensing unit is not blocked by weeds, grass, or any type of lawn ornament. The unit must be able to draw air into it in order to cool the air and circulate it inside. If the process is hindered by anything, it will not pull sufficient air in, and it won’t operate efficiently. If you cover your condenser during the winter (which is, by the way, not necessary, as the unit is designed to be outside in the elements), be sure to uncover it each spring.
- Test your system. Early in the spring, turn your air conditioner on and allow it to operate for about an hour or so. If you detect any problems, it will still be early enough to get an HVAC technician out without a long wait. If you delay turning the system on until it is hot outside, you will end up waiting awhile in most areas for an overworked tech.
- Change your air filter. A dirty filter is a top culprit of energy inefficiency, and it can also cause your evaporator to “freeze up” or “ice over”. For those people who are destined to always forget to change the filter, consider buying a permanent filter that needs to be cleaned once each year. In general, your air conditioner filter should be changed monthly or more, especially during periods of heavy usage. If your filter is dirty, change it, even if you just changed it a couple of weeks ago. Be sure to also clean the grille that covers the fan unit inside your home.
- Set the thermostat. Be certain that you set your thermostat in the cooling mode and keep in mind that simply setting the temperature to below the room temperature will not cause the AC to kick on if it is not in cooling mode. Consider installing a programmable thermostat that will cool your home during specific periods of the day that you select while allowing you to conserve energy when you are not at home. This can be a big money saver.
- Beware of your limitations. While cleaning or replacing the air conditioner filter and keeping up with air conditioner maintenance will help your unit to run more efficiently, be sure to know your limitations. If you come across a problem with your air conditioning unit that you cannot handle on your own, it is always best to consult a professional.
Clearview Plumbing and Heating is a Calgary Plumbing and Heating company based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada which is available round the clock to carry out any type of Calgary Plumbing or Heating job.
You can reach us any time at 403-220-0090.