The bathroom sink is the most common place for a clog to occur in a home. Unlike kitchen sinks, which are usually clogged by food bits, bathroom sinks tend to be clogged up by a tangle of dirt and hairs, making them a difficult job for the do-it-yourselfers.
To unclog a sink, you will require the following tools:
– Sink plunger (just like the toilet plunger, only shrunken to fit over the sink drain)
– Old rag
– Drain snake (a hand crank and cable is available at most hardware stores). The drain snake should only be used by individuals who have a certain level of plumbing knowledge and experience.
Drain unclogging DIY Procedure:
1. Before you start pushing on the plunger, plug the overflow drain (that peephole in the actual sink, often just under the faucet) with the rag. This closes the circuit and creates suction.
2. Pump the sink plunger several times to try and get the water pressure to force through and break the clog.
3. If the plunger doesn’t work, try the drain snake. Snake it down the drain opening and then turn the crank. Remember that using a drain snake requires skill and can cause more harm if not used correctly. Those who live in apartments should be extra careful when using a snake drain because apartment complexes often have shared drains with neighbors that flow into the same pipe. If the snake drain is handled incorrectly, it is possible for it to go through to the sink on the other side of the wall.
4. If the drain remains unclogged, you should call a plumber.
ClearView Plumbing provides services of plumbing, drain cleaning repairs and installations. We help our clients get their plumbing issues fixed for less money and with a less mess. To understand more about how Trenchless Sewer Repair works, visit our website.
If you need to schedule an appointment, you can click here or click on the button below.
To see any of our other services, you can go to http://www.clearviewplumbing.ca.
Click here for our Calgary Furnace $99 tune up special – please note that this offer is subject to change any time.
Click here for a list of our different Plumbing and Heating specials – Please note that these specials are subject to change at any time.